Between the lovely little heat wave that has decided to grace Albuquerque, and a sort of life-clumsiness that’s been tenaciously nipping at my heels, I’ve had to make a concerted effort to stay focused on the positive this week.
Maybe you’re going through something similar. I can’t guarantee these will work for everyone, but here are some things that have helped me so far:
1) My sunflowers. For the loooongest time, they were just these tall, gorgeously sturdy green stalks, with…no blossoms. I (and Robin Hood) watered, weeded, and waited. And waited. Finally, last week, the first blossom showed its lovely face, and now we have an outright profusion of sunflowers! I cannot look at them without cheering up. They’re tall. They’re sassy. They are the perfect picture of audacious faith, which, hey, is pretty much my mantra for the year.
2) Confidence-boosting runs. A lot of my training for this fall’s marathon has been unremarkable, but during this week’s hill workout, things clicked and I actually felt good! I would have done a dance, but…the hills.
3) This beer:
This was one of the beers served at our wedding, and it currently holds the title of My Favorite Beer. It’s refreshing. It’s delicious. It comes in a pretty can. If you like IPAs, get yourself some! I recommend it after a hard workout, in between guzzling water and taking a shower.
4) The way Ann looks when I let her out of her crate. Her anticipation! Her excitement! The hilarity of her stumbly-puppy gait as she tries to carry multiple toys and blankets at once!
5) Malachi 4:2 : “But unto you who revere and worshipfully fear My name shall the Sun of Righteousness arise with healing in His wings and His beams, and you shall go forth and gambol like calves [released] from the stall and leap for joy.”…because I imagine my puppy, and how great, to feel that kind of bliss?
6) Learning new skills. The past three Sundays, Robin Hood and I have gone out for target practice with different guns in preparation for an elk hunt this fall. I’ll write more about the target practice in a later post, but for now I’ll just say that I’m enjoying it more and more, and it is incredibly empowering. And humbling.
7) My husband. He drives me crazy sometimes, and I drive him crazy a LOT, but man is life better with him around.
8) Making tiny steps of progress in cutting myself some slack. Kristin Armstrong wrote a column on embracing imperfection which I’m tempted to print out and post on my refrigerator. I probably should. If I don’t show myself compassion, who am I going to show it to?
9) Weekends. Yes, week days and work days are necessary, but weekends are vital. Spending more time outside than in! Having a go-bag with sunscreen and water already packed! Cruising through a drive-thru en route to adventures! Falling asleep halfway through a movie from all that exertion having fun! Yup. Love the weekends.
10) Staying connected. Whether it’s date night on a restaurant patio, visiting with family, or traveling to spend overdue quality time with friends, this time of year is terrific for that.
What’s putting a bounce in your step these days?