The best gifts are the unexpected ones. You know, when someone surprises you with flowers, or when you get a letter or postcard in the mail (yes, mail, not e-mail) from a friend you haven’t heard from in ages. Or when you go for your first run after a hiatus, and the weather just happens to be absolutely perfect, as though God Himself has blessed your return to running. And it’s funny how these little unexpected gems always seem to come at exactly the right moment, when you’re struggling to keep a smile on your face and faith in your heart.
Imagine my delight, then, when at the end of a looong work day, I opened my e-mail and discovered I’d been nominated for the Super Sweet Blogging Award from a fellow blogger!
Not only do I feel hugely honored for the peer recognition, but I admit that this makes me feel a wee bit nostalgic for my college days. We didn’t have Facebook back then, so we spent countless hours filling out surveys (covering a wide gamut of topics) and forwarding them on to our friends. Gleeful procrastination across campus flourished.
At any rate, I’ll do my best to comply with Super Sweet Blogging Award etiquette.
- Thank the person who nominated you. Many thanks to Yoga With Maheshwari, who writes a wonderful blog about yoga (obviously) and life in general. Check it out at: http://yogawithmaheshwari.wordpress.com/
- Answer 5 questions.
- Cookies or Cake? Yes. Oh, I have to actually choose? Cookies, then, simply because they do not require any serving utensils. Grab, chomp, commence bliss.
- Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate. In any form. I don’t turn up my nose at milk chocolate or white chocolate or dark; there’s room for all of them in my heart. I will say, though, vanilla extract is a staple of my cupboard, as it tends to only increase the tastiness of any recipe.
- What is your favorite sweet treat? I’m going to differentiate here. My favorite thing to make is pie. Pie is fantastic: it can be either sweet or savory. It is its own vessel – certain pies can just be picked up and eaten by hand. And you can tell the season by what kind of pies are being served! Not to mention, learning to wrangle pie crusts will inspire you to invent all kinds of fun new swear words. What could be better?? Now, my favorite sweet thing to eat? Bananas foster. Simple. Delicious. And there’s fire.
- When do you crave sweet things the most? Between supper and bedtime. I struggle to accept vegetables as a dessert or night-time snack.
- If I had a sweet nickname what would it be? I have no idea. I once watched an episode of “Backyardigans” with my niece in which one of the characters was a Pie Samurai. That would actually be extremely cool – if not as a nickname, then definitely the name of a bakery.
3. Pay it forward: the Baker’s Dozen Nominees (in no particular order). I’ve picked 13 blogs, because that’s a “baker’s dozen,” no? I consider them all “Super Sweet” and definitely worth a visit!